summaryrefslogtreecommitdiffstats
diff options
context:
space:
mode:
authorLeo Vivier <zaeph@zaeph.net>2021-04-10 18:09:14 +0200
committerLeo Vivier <zaeph@zaeph.net>2021-04-10 18:09:14 +0200
commit95cfda0f1378adc8e995601dbb548a2bcc60b4e6 (patch)
treef8924841ac99e9206a42c87774bcb55fb1574441
parentb9566c9cadeaac42e29bb5f568f1d44279def5de (diff)
downloademacsconf-wiki-95cfda0f1378adc8e995601dbb548a2bcc60b4e6.tar.xz
emacsconf-wiki-95cfda0f1378adc8e995601dbb548a2bcc60b4e6.zip
Add notes from last session
-rw-r--r--2021/meetings.org184
1 files changed, 164 insertions, 20 deletions
diff --git a/2021/meetings.org b/2021/meetings.org
index e394649..4f1e468 100644
--- a/2021/meetings.org
+++ b/2021/meetings.org
@@ -17,12 +17,11 @@
- Tech
- Figuring out a better streaming workflow (speakers & OBS)
- - Review whether we need FH’s BBB instance: mplsCorwin & bandali
- - CDN with Nate Saltes: mplsCorwin, bandali
+ - CDN with Nate Sales: mplsCorwin, bandali
+ - Stand-by until late-April
- Documenting our infrastructure
- - Creating a list of server with the requirements: bandali, zaeph
-- Amin and Gopar's podcast: bandali, gopar
+- amin and gopar's podcast: bandali, gopar
- Coming up with a list of guests
- Leo Vivier (zaeph, org-roam)
- Qiantan Hong (crdt)
@@ -34,37 +33,182 @@
- FSF people? Zoe? Greg? rwp?
- Drew Adams (@oracle.com, probably)
- Bastien Guerry
- - Coming up with an intro song
- - shoshin
- - Asking the community in the first couple of episodes
-
-- Subtitles/transcripts: sachac, bhavin192
-- Calendar, connecting with meetups: sachac
-- Streaming infrastructure for meetups?: bandali, sachac
- - set of methods for clipping, publishing, etc.
-
-- Writing about Emacs: zaeph
-- mplsCorwin's livestreaming project, working on trimming
-- Diversity outreach: gopar, sachac, zaeph
-- Finding a parallel monthly day for EmacsConf prep meetings
- - Write-up for streaming with FLOSS
-- Mediation project between MELPA and org-mode’s core: zaeph
+ - Karl Voit
+ - Andrea Corallo
+ - Jethro Kuan (org-roam; alongside Leo Vivier)
+
+- zaeph’s projects
+ - org-roam
+ - Mediation project between MELPA and org-mode’s core: zaeph
+ - Community
+
+- EmacsConf
+ - Subtitles/transcripts: sachac, bhavin192
+ - Calendar, connecting with meetups: sachac, zaeph
+ - Guidebook for streaming: bandali, sachac, zaeph
+ - Set of methods for clipping, publishing, etc.
+ - Coming up with a way to coordinate meetings with *all* the organisers of the EmacsConf (rather than the core subset)
+ - Coming up with a calendar for the next edition
+
+- Misc
+ - Writing about Emacs: zaeph
+ - mplsCorwin's livestreaming project, working on trimming
+ - Diversity outreach: gopar, sachac, zaeph, mplsCorwin
+
+* April 17, 2021 meeting
+
+- Tentative agenda
+ - Diversity outreach
+ - We might want to get the conversation properly started wrt the CFP that we’d like to publish earlier this year (late-July)
+ - How to get all the people in EmacsConf along for important discussions (e.g. diversity)?
+ - Coming up with an agenda for the next EmacsConf
* April 10, 2021 meeting
- Next actions (from last session):
- bandali:
- Check how much server space we have with FH (200 GB?)
+ - We now have two servers on FH
+ Specs:
+ #+begin_quote
+ bbb:
+ - 6 cpu cores
+ - 200gb disk (20 used, 167 free)
+ - 4gb ram (3.56gb of 3.91 used / >90%)
+ - TODO We might want to request a RAM increase to 6GB or 8GB?
+ - bandali is taking care of that
+ - request upgrade to 8gb
+ - ubuntu 16.04
+ - ssh bbb@bbb.emacsverse.org
+
+ vm01:
+ - 6 cpu cores
+ - 300gb disk
+ - 2gb ram
+ - request upgrade to 4gb?
+ - booted in an arch live usb
+ - We might want to install the system properly?
+ #+end_quote
- Request more RAM for the server (4 GB only right now?)
- Get access to FH’s server to zaeph and sacha (optional, sachac: probably not needed now)
+ - Now live!
- Figure out how to change the domain name with the FH BBB instance
+ - Done!
- Check if the server power have available on FH now is enough for our bidding
- We could also use the beefy servers to which bandali has access to process
- - Redirect emacsbbb.fosshost.org to bbb.
- zaeph:
- Update [[https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Usergroups][EmacsWiki : Usergroups]] with new dates
+ - Don’t need to; it’s been automatised by sachac
- Download all the recording sessions for EmacsConf & ERG
- Work on the crowdfunding based on the recommendations provided by the team
+- Check-in
+ - bandali
+ - Doing good, and even managed to take a couple of days off work
+ - zaeph
+ - Good; took a break as well
+ - sachac
+ - *thumbs up* (but childcare doesn’t have holidays)
+
+- FH servers
+ - On which server should we do the reencoding?
+ - Since bbb is used infrequently, we can just use this one for now and pause/cpulimit when needed
+
+- crdt.el problems with disconnections
+ - zaeph:
+ - Making disconnects more visible
+ - sachac/bandali: Changing the bg color?
+
+- Debrief after tarsius came along to the previous meeting
+ - zaeph: tarsius is a lot more fun that I thought he would be!
+ - bandali: A lot of us have only interacted by emails; it’s so different to meet them in person (or virtually
+ - sachac: Definitely something good to see wrt to bandali & gopar’s podcast!
+
+- Reviewing the ongoing projects
+ #+begin_src org
+- Tech
+ - Figuring out a better streaming workflow (speakers & OBS)
+ # Since mplsCorwin is the most knowledgeable on this topic, we’d better wait for him to be around; but the project is still very much actual
+ - Review whether we need FH’s BBB instance: mplsCorwin & bandali
+ # zaeph: Since we’ve started migrating all our meetups/workshops over the FH’s instance, it’s fair to say that this is no longer an ongoing project
+ - CDN with Nate Sales: mplsCorwin, bandali
+ # On stand-by until late-April
+ - Documenting our infrastructure
+ # bandali: Not urgent by any means, but still something that he’d like to get to, especially to address the bus factor
+ - Creating a list of server with the requirements: bandali, zaeph
+ # Removed because we’ve already taken care of 90% of the work on this one; and added a TODO for bandali
+
+- bandali and gopar’s podcast: bandali, gopar
+ - Coming up with a list of guests
+ # Added some names
+ - Leo Vivier (zaeph, org-roam)
+ - Qiantan Hong (crdt)
+ - Protesilaos Stavrou
+ - John Wiegley
+ - Lars Ingebrigtsen
+ - Adam Porter (alphapapa) - package maintainers group?
+ - Jonas Bernoulli (tarsius)
+ - FSF people? Zoe? Greg? rwp?
+ - Drew Adams (@oracle.com, probably)
+ - Bastien Guerry
+ # Removed intro/outro stuff
+
+- EmacsConf
+ - Subtitles/transcripts: sachac, bhavin192
+ - Calendar, connecting with meetups: sachac, zaeph
+ # Added zaeph
+ - Streaming infrastructure for meetups?: bandali, sachac, zaeph
+ # Added zaeph
+ - Set of methods for clipping, publishing, etc.
+
+- Writing about Emacs: zaeph
+- mplsCorwin's livestreaming project, working on trimming
+- Diversity outreach: gopar, sachac, zaeph, mplsCorwin
+ # It can probably wait for May; keeping in mind the CFP that we’d like to start in late-July; added mplsCorwin
+- Finding a parallel monthly day for EmacsConf prep meetings
+ # bandali: Not strictly necessary to do it regularly; but if anything important needs to be discussed, we might want to find a better way to rally everyone: emails?
+ - Write-up for streaming with FLOSS
+- Mediation project between MELPA and org-mode’s core: zaeph
+ # Promoted to its own category (just like bandali & gopar’s project)
+ #+end_src
+
+- Discussion on IRC clients
+ - bandali: When you’ve gotten used to ERC inside Emacs, it’s hard
+ - bandali: ERC does not support SASL natively (but it does support other TSL connection methods)
+
+- Discussion on mobile org-mode clients
+ - [[https://micro.puddingbowl.org/2010/02/03/165139.html][org-mode In Your Pocket Is a GNU-Shaped Devil :: dot unplanned]]
+
+- Podcast
+ - No news this week
+ - bandali: Interested in announcing the podcast soon
+ - During the announcement, we should mention that we’d be interested in having community suggestions/productions for the intro/outro songs
+ - Maybe check with shoshin again?
+
+- Nick origin stories
+ - zaeph’s
+ - bandali’s
+
+- Next actions
+ - bandali:
+ - FH servers:
+ - Ask FH for more RAM on the BBB server
+ - Set up the vm01 server
+ - Listing the specs for the non-FH servers
+ - Podcast:
+ - Think about announcing the podcast
+ - Check if BBB (i.e. the app) is releasing ram on bbb (i.e. the instance on the server)
+ - sachac:
+ - Check if you have access to the bbb server
+ - zaeph:
+ - Download all the recording sessions for EmacsConf & ERG
+ - The FSF might be getting around to it soonish
+ - Email Emacs NYC (and Cc sachac and bandali) to ask them if they’d be interested in hosting their sessions on our BBB instance (on FH)
+ - Next session: [2021-05-03 Mon]
+ - Organisers to content:
+ - admin@emacsnyc.org (goes to both Eric & Zach)
+ - Do the same with Emacs ATX?
+ - Next session: [2021-05-05 Wed]
+
* April 3, 2021 meeting
- Next actions (from last session):
- bandali: