summaryrefslogtreecommitdiffstats
diff options
context:
space:
mode:
-rw-r--r--2021/cfp.md2
-rw-r--r--2021/cfp.org8
-rw-r--r--2021/meetings.org259
-rw-r--r--2021/office-hours.md2
-rw-r--r--2021/office-hours.org2
5 files changed, 263 insertions, 10 deletions
diff --git a/2021/cfp.md b/2021/cfp.md
index 81bac1e..0b0a9ac 100644
--- a/2021/cfp.md
+++ b/2021/cfp.md
@@ -96,6 +96,8 @@ dates in the coming months, given the current state of the world, we
may have to move things around a bit in case of unforeseen events.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
+<a name="formats"></a>
+
# Talk formats
diff --git a/2021/cfp.org b/2021/cfp.org
index a18d2fd..8ce99da 100644
--- a/2021/cfp.org
+++ b/2021/cfp.org
@@ -1,7 +1,7 @@
#+title: EmacsConf 2021
#+subtitle: Online Conference
#+date: November 27 and 28, 2021
-#+options: author:nil
+#+options: author:nil toc:nil
#+begin_export md
[[!meta title="Call for Proposals"]]
@@ -39,9 +39,9 @@ FORMAT."
#+end_src
[[elisp:(org-md-export-to-markdown)][Export this file to Markdown]]
-
+
* Call for Proposals
-
+
[[https://emacsconf.org/2021/][EmacsConf 2021]] will be a virtual conference on *November 27 and 28,
2021 (Sat-Sun)*. If you'd like to present at the conference, please
[[https://emacsconf.org/2021/cfp/][submit your proposal]] by *September 30, 2021*.
@@ -98,6 +98,7 @@ dates in the coming months, given the current state of the world, we
may have to move things around a bit in case of unforeseen events.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
+#+md: <a name="formats"></a>
* Talk formats
We'd like EmacsConf 2021 to inspire lots of different people to
@@ -239,4 +240,3 @@ version.
A copy of these two licenses is available on the EmacsConf wiki, in
the [[https://emacsconf.org/COPYING.CC-BY-SA][COPYING.CC-BY-SA]] and [[https://emacsconf.org/COPYING.GPL][COPYING.GPL]] files.
-
diff --git a/2021/meetings.org b/2021/meetings.org
index c72f938..8a61139 100644
--- a/2021/meetings.org
+++ b/2021/meetings.org
@@ -66,6 +66,10 @@
- Research
- Beginner’s track (dto & mplsCorwin?)
- We could also use sachac’s list of categories for Emacs news as input
+ - Live tasks during the conference
+ - zaeph:
+ - Doing volume checks when pre-recorded talks go live to do live normalisation
+ - Maybe bandali could look into easyeffects’s autogain?
- EmacsConf 2022
This entry is mostly for points we cannot address for EmacsConf 2021 (for lack of time), but that we’d still like to track for the future.
@@ -84,6 +88,256 @@
- mplsCorwin's livestreaming project, working on trimming
- Diversity outreach: gopar, sachac, zaeph, mplsCorwin
+* October 9, 2021 meeting
+
+- TODO
+ - bandali:
+ - Send the follow-ups
+ - Special care for 40: Ask for doing their talk on Sunday rather than Saturday
+ - zaeph:
+ - Take care of the replies from the follow-ups bandali
+ - Remove sticky from r/emacs
+ - sachac:
+ - Going to wait for bandali to finish submitting the de-anonymised versions to front0
+
+- TODO for the session
+ - Renumber the proposals chronologically
+
+* October 2, 2021 meeting
+
+- TODO
+ - bandali:
+ - Decomission the private repo from last year
+ - Reaching out to jwiegley for new Emacs update
+ - Get in touch with corwin for the streaming setup
+
+- Scheduling with sachac
+ - Questions raised by sachac after studying the anonymised talks
+ - Do we want to publish it?
+ - If we publish it, how precise do we want it to be?
+ - Do we want to think about dropping talks?
+ - Time exceptions
+ - Those are the ones we’ve either bumped down
+
+ - Do we post this draft schedule, or do we say that all the people who help us with the scheduling?
+ - bandali does have an informal list of people involved
+ - bandali (but he’ll excuse himself since he anonymised
+ - zaeph
+ - dbremner
+ - sachac
+ - seabass
+ - acw (Chase)
+ - corwin
+ - We’ll probably need to think about which responsibilities we hand over to new orgas, since some of them might be tough (like asking candidates to reduce the size/scope of their talks, or shepherding some of the talks which we don’t think are ready yet)
+
+ - Talk-specific considerations for exceptions
+ - 21: Resolved
+ - We might want to ask the candidate to record two versions, since the topic is very interesting, but it’s going to be quite tough to fit in the whole 40-min presentation that the candidate intended to
+ - Since the candidate mentions that there were two-parts, it might make more sense to trim one of the parts
+ - We could also offer 30-min, but that’d need to reduce the duration of 04 (M-x forever)
+ - We’ve resolved it by cutting the opening remarks on that day
+ - 40:
+ - 34 & 13:
+ - We need to get the candidates talking
+ - That’s not a blocker for accepting them, but we still
+ - 01:
+ - Maybe we could get the candidate to mention the reMarkable tablet, since it’s more aligned with our FLOSS goals?
+ - We’re not enthused with
+ - 02:
+ - Maybe make it clearer that this is the son
+
+ - Potential talks we’re still waiting to hear from
+ - jwiegley’s dev update
+
+ - Broadcasting with subtitles?
+ - [[https://wiki.c3subtitles.de/en:styleguide][Guide for subtitling talks]]
+ - We will push for big talks to have subtitles
+ - We can speakers to provide scripts if they’ve used one; otherwise, we can use whichever technique fits best (YouTube captioning; hand-editing them)
+
+ - bandali has fired up emacsconf-private-2021 for sharing conf.org
+ - We’ll keep pre-recs info on it, for example.
+
+ - Report on anonymising the proposals
+ - bandali: It wasn’t *too* bad; removing the names, the GH links was easy, but it’s definitely not a process
+ - sachac: Maybe something we can automatise next year! *maniacal laugh*
+
+ - Content for the follow-up email:
+ - Talk is accepted
+ - Specify which time duration we are accepting (can be automatised?)
+ - Double-checking availability
+ - Pre-rec deadline: [2021-10-31 Sun] or [2021-11-07 Sun] latest
+ - Gentle incentive to submit early so that we can get them captioned
+ - Please start your talk with your name so that we can now how to pronounce it!
+ - ‘If you happen to have a script for your talk, please submit it as well!’
+ - After you’ve finished your pre-rec, feel free to record a longer one that we can direct people to
+ - Tell people that there will be a page for them on emacsconf.org
+ - We should ask them for their pronouns which we will include on that page
+ - …But let’s not aim for sending them the actual URL to the page, since they might be subject to change
+
+ - Content that we’ve consider for the follow-up email
+ - Nudge to write blog-posts about
+
+ - Extra stuff to do on tech-checks
+ - Re-asking how to pronounce their names
+
+ - How to introduce people
+ - Let zaeph do it
+ - Come up with Englishised IPA for the names of everyone (which zaeph would take care of)
+ - Actually, it could be zaeph’s entire role
+
+ - For EmacsConf’s 2022:
+ - We might want to track talks according to IDs
+ - Submission could be sub-01-$title.org
+
+Notes from Paul:
+#+BEGIN_QUOTE
+There is a free software camp coming up that could be useful to signpost people from there to emacs conf to learn about e-macs
+https://camp.fsci.in/
+p;us the free software foundation europe
+Youth Hacking For Freedom
+If you like coding, tinkering, and having fun with software and if you are up for a challenge, we have something exciting for you: "Youth Hacking 4 Freedom" (YH4F), the FSFE's hacking competition for young people from Europe!
+https://yh4f.org/
+Which again could be somewhere to promote emacs / emacs conf
+#+END_QUOTE
+
+
+* September 25, 2021 meeting
+- TODO
+ - bandali & corwin:
+ - Figure out the streaming setup
+ - Who should be streaming?
+ - Experiment with tooling?
+ - Jitsi?
+ - RTMP webcamps via BBB?
+ - corwin:
+ - Come up with a list of topics for the next EmacsConf 2021
+ - Based on sachac’s blog
+ - sachac: ‘There's some elisp in my emacs-news/index.org that has a list of the categories I usually use’
+ - Think about interesting topics to have in a talkshow format for the next EmacsConf
+ - Also make a list of highly-political topics and what could be problematic about them
+ - zaeph:
+ - Think about personal talks and meta-talks for EmacsConf 2021
+ - Everyone
+ - Think about adapting the format based on the number of talks we’ll be fielding
+ - Come up with a protocol / condition tree
+
+- Check-in
+ - zaeph:
+ - Didn’t do as well in the last checkpoint with his mock-interviews; but hopeful for the next one in 8 days!
+ - Did a quick presentation of what he’s been doing to prepare for his interviews
+ - bandali:
+ - Doing pretty okay! Busy week at work again with some not-too-interesting busyworkprevious names of JAMI
+ - Also been working on ERC patches
+ - seabass:
+ - Was here 3 weeks ago, and he’s back with us now!
+ - Has been working on: [[https://github.com/spdx/spdx-spec][spdx/spdx-spec: The SPDX specification in MarkDown and HTML formats.]]
+ - Suggested reconsidering the work that has been done last spring on getting text/org accepted as a valid mimetype
+ - We egged seabass on to make a short user-story talk, especially since he got involved in all this with the last EmacsConf
+ - corwin:
+ - Probably going to join us later
+ - sachac:
+ - Busy with kiddo today; might not be able to make it
+
+- News
+ - zaeph: Became co-maint for crdt.el with qhong
+- Office hour
+ - bandali had one on Tuesday
+ - …Nobody did show up, though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
+ - Wasn’t expecting much, but got time to answer emails
+ - bandali wil have the last one for this year next Tuesday
+- Technical aspects of the streaming setup for the conference
+ - bandali and corwin haven’t been able to meet to discuss
+ - bandali thought about this, and would rather do the streaming himself (sticking with what worked)
+ - rtmp server w/ jitsi might be finnicky, and we don’t probably don’t want to risk
+ - If the server doing the mirroring goes down, we might not be able to
+ - Should we change our policy with regards to backup streaming services (YouTube, peertube?)
+ - It’s technically possibly for us to bounce streams and use the servers of non-free platforms to do most of the leg-work, but we don’t think it’s enough to change our policy
+ - Should we ask FH to provide more facility for the live streaming?
+- Doing more with FH:
+ - sachac: Should we ask FH to handle the hosting of our conferences rather than the platforms we currently use?
+ - Currently, we use linode for streaming and uwaterloo (via bandali) for initial video upload
+- List of tracks or topics for EmacsConf 2021
+ - Considering our timing with the CFP closure, it’s not necessary for us to think about it right now
+- Figuring out what do to during down-times
+ - Panels
+ - zaeph is slightly more confident in the format after having thought about it
+ - We’re quite excited about this, but there are
+ - sachac: We’re okay for 10am-pm at 75% load
+- Intervention with emacs-devel?
+- How to deal with private info for emergency contact
+ - We’ve figured a good workflow that will allow us all to access the files and keep it encrypted
+- Closing the CFP
+ - Should we send an email to warn people?
+ - It might be a good idea to officially announce the closing of the CFP, but focussing on the thanking. It might also give some extra energy to those who were waiting to submit to hurry up.
+
+* September 18, 2021 meeting
+
+- Carry-over from last time:
+ - Next actions from last time
+ - zaeph:
+ - DONE Look into polling for views to turn into a cron
+ - bandali took care of it!
+ - Send email to Jeremy Friesen, and maybe schedule a meeting
+ - Also Cc: emacsconf-org-private@gnu.org
+ - Try to find a date that North-American folks can attend too
+ - CXLD Draft the email for publicising office hour
+ - DONE Make a PR for adding EmacsConf to [[https://confs.tech/?online=online#][Tech conferences in 2021 and 2022 | Confs.tech]]
+ - PR here: [[https://github.com/tech-conferences/confs.tech][tech-conferences/confs.tech: List of tech conferences: JavaScript / Design - CSS - UX / Ruby - iOS - Android - PHP - Data - Devops and more.]]
+ - Done by seabass: thanks!
+ - Everyone:
+ - CXLD <2021-09-01 Wed>: Review zaeph’s email proposal for publicising the office hour
+ - Come up with an exhaustive list of topics/tracks for the next edition
+ - Find the first TODO this document under [[#ongoing-projects][file:~/emacsconf.org::#ongoing-projects]]
+
+ - TODO
+ - Review the ongoing projects because some projects ought to be updated
+ - Review the schedule for office hours
+ - Would sachac want some help with the scheduling?
+ - Could we maybe document a little more how sachac does it so that other orgas could help (or someone new to recruit)?
+ - Reviewing office hours
+ - Do we give up for this year and focus on the next one?
+
+- Check-in
+ - bandali
+ - Had to deal with [[https://planet.gnu.org/][Planet GNU]] going down, which took a couple of days but was a lot of stress
+ - Has also been working on ERC, since emacs-28 is going to be cut soon
+ - zaeph
+ - Still working on his interview
+ - sachac
+ - Managed to make it!
+ - corwin
+ - Managed to make it!
+
+- On the office hours
+ - Discussion
+ - zaeph: Has problems keeping up with the commitment, and is feeling locked with regards to publicising them without due funnelling down
+ - bandali has been participating to some of corwin’s office hours and has been having fun with it, even though it was mostly people from #emacs@libera.chat
+ - sachac: We already have a healthy number of submissions, so it might not be necessary?
+ - bandali: It might still be worth it to publicise the office hours on r/emacs, but to present them more as a conversation between friends
+ - zaeph: This feel closer to workshops, though (i.e., not just 1-on-1)
+ - zaeph: So, do we consider the office hours format worth reforming, or should we explore workshops for next year?
+ - Proposals
+ - We could have weekly/bi-weekly workshops with one of us managing the room so that people could come talk to us about anything, and we’d nudge people towards writing proposals or contacting us for help (since they will know us a little more)
+ - Should we cancel the office hours
+ - Should we make a meta-presentation about office hours during EmacsConf 2021
+ - Why we were thinking they could be useful
+ - How we did the few of them?
+ - What plans do we have for the future (e.g. workshop)?
+
+- Handling the end of the CFP
+ - Extending the CFP by 1 week? <2021-10-07 Thu>
+ - Not necessarily a good idea because it ends up rushing us
+ - corwin: We should check stats from last year, and see how many submissions we get in the last week of the CFP (as it is currently shceduled)
+ - sachac: It’s also fine if it’s a one-day conference
+ - Come up with an exhaustive list of topics/tracks for the next edition
+
+- Hosting and handling responsibilities according to the number of talks we need to manage
+
+- EmacsConf 2022
+ - We should pro
+
+
+
* September 4, 2021 meeting
- Next actions from last time
@@ -93,8 +347,9 @@
- Also Cc: emacsconf-org-private@gnu.org
- Try to find a date that North-American folks can attend too
- Draft the email for publicising office hour
- - Make a PR for adding EmacsConf to [[https://confs.tech/?online=online#][Tech conferences in 2021 and 2022 | Confs.tech]]
+ - DONE Make a PR for adding EmacsConf to [[https://confs.tech/?online=online#][Tech conferences in 2021 and 2022 | Confs.tech]]
- PR here: [[https://github.com/tech-conferences/confs.tech][tech-conferences/confs.tech: List of tech conferences: JavaScript / Design - CSS - UX / Ruby - iOS - Android - PHP - Data - Devops and more.]]
+ - Done by seabass: thanks!
- Everyone:
- <2021-09-01 Wed>: Review zaeph’s email proposal for publicising the office hour
- Come up with an exhaustive list of topics/tracks for the next edition
@@ -564,7 +819,7 @@
- Wipe the private-repo
* June 5, 2021 meeting
-
+
- Next actions from last time
- Project-based:
- bbb:
diff --git a/2021/office-hours.md b/2021/office-hours.md
index 5372124..42c376b 100644
--- a/2021/office-hours.md
+++ b/2021/office-hours.md
@@ -11,8 +11,6 @@ Room URL: <https://bbb.emacsverse.org/b/ban-qye-fd1-5kw>
- Fri Sep 17 2100 Vancouver / 2300 Chicago &#x2013; Sat Sep 18 0000 Toronto / 0400 GMT / 0600 Berlin / 0930 Kolkata / 1200 Singapore
- Sat Sep 18 0800 Vancouver / 1000 Chicago / 1100 Toronto / 1500 GMT / 1700 Berlin / 2030 Kolkata / 2300 Singapore
- Tue Sep 21 1800 Vancouver / 2000 Chicago / 2100 Toronto &#x2013; Wed Sep 22 0100 GMT / 0300 Berlin / 0630 Kolkata / 0900 Singapore
-- Fri Sep 24 2100 Vancouver / 2300 Chicago &#x2013; Sat Sep 25 0000 Toronto / 0400 GMT / 0600 Berlin / 0930 Kolkata / 1200 Singapore
-- Sat Sep 25 0800 Vancouver / 1000 Chicago / 1100 Toronto / 1500 GMT / 1700 Berlin / 2030 Kolkata / 2300 Singapore
- Tue Sep 28 1800 Vancouver / 2000 Chicago / 2100 Toronto &#x2013; Wed Sep 29 0100 GMT / 0300 Berlin / 0630 Kolkata / 0900 Singapore
diff --git a/2021/office-hours.org b/2021/office-hours.org
index 229d5d1..ff8256e 100644
--- a/2021/office-hours.org
+++ b/2021/office-hours.org
@@ -18,8 +18,6 @@ Room URL: https://bbb.emacsverse.org/b/ban-qye-fd1-5kw
- Fri Sep 17 2100 Vancouver / 2300 Chicago -- Sat Sep 18 0000 Toronto / 0400 GMT / 0600 Berlin / 0930 Kolkata / 1200 Singapore
- Sat Sep 18 0800 Vancouver / 1000 Chicago / 1100 Toronto / 1500 GMT / 1700 Berlin / 2030 Kolkata / 2300 Singapore
- Tue Sep 21 1800 Vancouver / 2000 Chicago / 2100 Toronto -- Wed Sep 22 0100 GMT / 0300 Berlin / 0630 Kolkata / 0900 Singapore
-- Fri Sep 24 2100 Vancouver / 2300 Chicago -- Sat Sep 25 0000 Toronto / 0400 GMT / 0600 Berlin / 0930 Kolkata / 1200 Singapore
-- Sat Sep 25 0800 Vancouver / 1000 Chicago / 1100 Toronto / 1500 GMT / 1700 Berlin / 2030 Kolkata / 2300 Singapore
- Tue Sep 28 1800 Vancouver / 2000 Chicago / 2100 Toronto -- Wed Sep 29 0100 GMT / 0300 Berlin / 0630 Kolkata / 0900 Singapore
* About office hours