|author||Leo Vivier <email@example.com>||2021-04-24 17:20:41 +0200|
|committer||Leo Vivier <firstname.lastname@example.org>||2021-04-24 17:20:41 +0200|
Add notes from last session
1 files changed, 86 insertions, 6 deletions
diff --git a/2021/meetings.org b/2021/meetings.org
index 9ef895f..1feb67f 100644
@@ -65,8 +65,90 @@
- How to get all the people in EmacsConf along for important discussions (e.g. diversity)?
- Coming up with a tentative calendar for the next EmacsConf as a first step towards properly working on the next edition
+ - bandali:
+ - This week was less busy, yay!
+ - sachac:
+ - Family business as usual. :)
+ - zaeph:
+ - Busy week with the job application
+- Objectives for today
+ - Keeping it short so that we can go enjoy the sun
+ - Setting up a bigger session next time, possibly for the diversity talk
+- Next actions from last time:
+ - People-based
+ - zaeph:
+ - Download all the recording sessions for EmacsConf & ERG
+ - → Still not up
+ - bandali did talk with the person in charge at the FSF
+ - The files of the recording are available; we just need to relate UID to rooms
+ - Emacs APAC invitation
+ - Done; it went well.
+- Things to prepare for next week:
+ - Diversity discussion
+ - We want the CFP to happen in July (so, earlier than last year)
+ - Reasoning:
+ - Last year, we weren’t sure if there was going to be an EmacsConf
+ - An earlier CFP opens up the opportunity for a more thorough outreach program (office hours, events, EUG (Emacs UserGroup), etc.)
+ - Do we want to change the date of the event itself?
+ - Late November has been the period we used for the last two sessions
+ - It didn’t clash with any other conference in that area
+ - seagl happened two weeks before this year’s edition
+ - It doesn’t clash with people’s holiday
+ - Retroplaning:
+- Rethinking the CFP
+ - In our post-conference debrief, we discussed making some changes to the CFP
+ - Both anonymized submissions and accepting everything provided good defences against bias, although anonymizing took a bit of effort from bandali; we should definitely continue doing that.
+ - That submission process asked for demographic info and got lots of pushback.
+ - Modifying the CFP to include a nudge to encourage people worked better.
+ - We also wanted to explore the topicalisation of the presentations:
+ - Gaming
+ - organisation
+ - Meta talk on community and the EmacsConf itself
+- Diversity Meeting: What do we want to talk about?
+ - CFP process; vetting the method that we’ve used last year
+ - Outreach program to nudge people into participating
+ - The goal is not to be obnoxious about it; just gentle nudges. :)
+ - Places where those nudges could be provided
+ - office hours
+ - livestreams
+ - EUG meetups
+ - other events
+ - Any other ideas?
+- Topic in the EmacsConf
+ - During the post-conf debrief, we mentioned that we’d be interesting in having a select amount of topics/tracks to structure the conference, but also to nudge people from those areas to participate.
+ - bandali: ‘If we manage to break talks into separate tracks, notably with streaming volunteers
+ - Bound to whether we can get volunteers to take care of streaming
+ - We probably need to take this into account before the conference itself so that we can mobilise volunteers and train them for streaming (as well as vetting their streaming setup)
+ - sachac was interested to know if they had any streaming methods we could use as inspiration.
+ - We don’t think they’re using a .webm endpoint, but probably HLS and/or RTMP
+- Anonymised submissions
+ - Do we need to discuss this in terms of diversity?
+ - Last year, we didn’t refuse any talk, so this was not a factor in the lack of representation
+ - This year, we might get more submissions, so it might be wise to do it again (because it could become a factor).
+- Returning to working on technical aspects
+ - We will have 2-3 months after the CFP has been released to work on the technical side properly; but it’d be nice if we could work on this earlier so that bandali does not stress too much about it.
+ - It’d be especially interesting to work with a gstreamer pipeline that lets us switch betwen prerecorded and live
+ - May is probably going to be a chill month.
- Next actions
+ - Diversity (& potentially Accessibility) meeting:
+ - Think about people to invite to the meeting.
+ - Check if they’re available for [2021-05-15 Sat]
+ - Assess whether we need to have two days to cover more people.
- See if increasing the RAM results in less CPU usage
- Working with the swap
@@ -74,18 +156,16 @@
- Test RW speed (elsewhere than ~/tmp/~)
- Check if we can change the ffmpeg prioritisation for BBB (so as to get recordings out sooner, or to manage them ourselves)
- Does bbb spawn a ffmpeg process that we can investigate?
- - People-based
+ - People-based:
- - Download all the recording sessions for EmacsConf & ERG
- - → Still not up
+ - Checking how bbb structure the recordings server-side so that we may retrieve those on the FSF’s instance
- Email Emacs NYC (and Cc sachac and bandali) to ask them if they’d be interested in hosting their sessions on our BBB instance (on FH)
- Next session: [2021-05-03 Mon]
- Organisers to content:
- email@example.com (goes to both Eric & Zach)
- Do the same with Emacs ATX?
- Next session: [2021-05-05 Wed]
- - Do the same with Emacs APAC?
- - Next session: [2021-04-24 Sat]
+ - Look into GLT21 to see if they have specifications/doc for their streaming setup
- Check if you have access to the bbb server
@@ -93,7 +173,7 @@
- Listing the specs for the non-FH servers
- Think about announcing the podcast
* April 17, 2021 meeting